MOUNT KILIMANJARO-RONGAI ROUTE 6 DAYS TREKKING begins and ends in Marangu.
Arrive anytime at Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO), there will be a private transfer from Overland Safaris waiting at the airport to pick up you to Marangu.
All airport transfers are part of the package, no extra fee required.
E-mail us at any time to discuss your trip and get an accurate quotation.
DAY 1: ARRIVE IN TANZANIA:
We stay at Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort, which is a beautiful Hotel located on the lower slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro and is a perfect place to prepare you for the adventure.
We will gather in the evening at 5:30 pm for a pre-climb briefing and an equipment check.
We will also confirm you have the appropriate mandatory medical coverage and travel insurance.
Dinner and overnight at Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort: Bed, Dinner, and Breakfast included.
DAY 2: RONGAI SIMBA CAMP:
After an early breakfast in Marangu, you will drive to the Rongai (Nalemoru) Gate near the Kenya border. We begin our climb on this unspoiled wilderness route. The walk then starts to climb consistently, but gently through attractive forest that shelters a variety of wildlife. The forest begins to thin out and the first camp is at the edge of the moorland zone (2600 m.) with extensive views over the Kenyan plains.
The first day is only a half-day walk. [3-4 hours of walking]
DAY 3: KIKELELWA CAMP:
The morning walk is a steady ascent up to the ‘Second Cave’ (3,450 m.) with superb views of Kibo and the Eastern ice fields on the crater rim. After lunch, we leave the main trail and strike out across the moorland on a smaller path towards the jagged peaks of Mawenzi. Our “Upper Kikelelwa” campsite is on a small plateau above a sheltered valley with giant senecios past Kikelelwa Caves (3,750 m.) [7-8 hours of walking]
DAY 4: MAWENZI TURN HUT:
A short but steep climb up grassy slopes is rewarded by superb all-round views and a tangible sense of wilderness. We leave vegetation behind shortly before reaching the next camp at “Mawenzi” (4,300 m.), spectacularly situated beneath the towering spires of Mawenzi. The afternoon will be free to rest or explore the surrounding area as an aid to acclimatization. [3-4 hours of walking]
DAY 5: SCHOOL HUT:
We cross the lunar desert of the ‘Saddle’ between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach the “School Hut” campsite (4,750 m.) at the bottom of the Kibo crater wall. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the final ascent before a very early night! [5-6 hours of walking]
DAY 6: SCHOOL HUT TO SUMMIT DOWN TO HORROMBO HUT:
We will start the final and by far the steepest and most demanding, part of the climb by torchlight around 1 a.m. We plod very slowly in the darkness on a switchback trail through loose volcanic scree to reach the crater rim at Gillman’s Point (5,685 m.) We will rest there for a short time to enjoy the spectacular sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling strong can make the three hour round trip to Uhuru Peak (5,896 m.), passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to School (4,700 m.) is surprisingly fast and, after some refreshment, we continue the descent to reach our final campsite at Horombo (3,720 m.). [11-15 hours of walking].
DAY 7: HORROMBO HUT DOWN TO MARANGU GATE:
A steady descent takes us down through moorland to Mandara Hut (2,700m.), the first stopping place at the Marangu route. We then continue descending through lovely lush forest on a good path to the National Park gate at Marangu (1,830 m.). [5-6 hours of walking].
Dinner and overnight at Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort: Bed, Dinner and Breakfast included.
DAY 8: DEPARTING DAY:
After saying bye to our team of guides, then you need a private departure transfer, which is included from Marangu to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight unless you have an option to have a short safari or any other option we will discuss.
MOUNT KILIMANJARO-RONGAI ROUTE 6 DAYS TREKKING INCLUDES:
• Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha and Arusha to Kilimanjaro airport
• Hotel Lodging the night before and the night after the climb, with dinner and breakfast included (double occupancy)
• With bed dinner and breakfast
• Transfer from your hotel to starting point for your climb and return to your hotel after your climb
• Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
• All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees, and climbing permits.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Rescue Team)
• Emergency Oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook
• Salaries for the mountain crew as per guidelines set by the Kilimanjaro National Park
• Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs) from one camp to the next camp.
• Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
• A comprehensive Climbing Kilimanjaro travel info pack
• Flying Doctor Service
MOUNT KILIMANJARO-RONGAI ROUTE 6 DAYS TREKKING EXCLUDES:
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US $ 230 to US $ 300 per hiker – depends on the number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
• South African passport holders do NOT require a visa for Tanzania, however, most other nationalities require a visa for Tanzania
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if traveling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Optional, but highly recommended Portable toilet
• Snacks, personal medicine, and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks.