9 DAYS CRATER CAMP-KILIMANJARO TREKKING ITINERARY is an alternative approach to Uhuru Peak for those wishing a quieter expedition. This very successful itinerary allows the most time for acclimatization and therefore has the greatest summit success rates.
EMAIL US AT ANY TIME TO DISCUSS YOUR TRIP AND GET AN ACCURATE QUOTATION.
DAY 1: ARRIVE IN TANZANIA.
Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), Overland Safaris will pick up you with our private transfer from the Airport to Arusha Safari Lodge. We will gather in the evening for a pre-climb briefing and an equipment check. We will also confirm you have the appropriate mandatory medical coverage and travel insurance.
Dinner and overnight at Arusha Safari Lodge: Bed, dinner, and breakfast included.
DAY 2: LONDOROSSI GATE TO MTI MKUBWA.
Elevation (m): 2360m to 2895m, Distance: 6 km, Time: 3-4 hours, Habitat: Montane forest. Drive from the Hotel to Londorossi Park Gate for registration. Our porters prepare and pack the supplies and luggage before we start our ascent along the forest trail to Mti Mkubwa (big tree) campsite at 2895m. We will stay here overnight.
DAY 3: MTI MKUBWA TO SHIRA.
Elevation (m): 2895m to 3500m, Distance: 8 km, Time: 5-6 hours, Habitat: Moorland.
Our journey continues eastwards across Shira Plateau and Shira Cathedral. We will cross the moorland meadow to reach Shira 1 camp for dinner and overnight camping at 3810m. By now we will be able to see, in an easterly direction, the Western Breach with its stunning glaciers. The night here is colder than the previous night & the temperature could possibly go below freezing.
DAY 4: SHIRA TO MOIR HUT.
Elevation (m): 3500m to 4200m, Distance: 14 km, Time: 5-7 hours, Habitat: Moorland.
We leave the forest behind now, the trail gets steeper as it enters the moorland zone.
A gentle grade walk takes you across the high altitude Shira Caldera to Shira Cave with fabulous views of Arrow glacier. We will camp here for the night at 4200m.
DAY 5: MOIR HUT VIA LAVA TOWER TO BARRANCO CAMP.
Elevation (m): 4200m to 4600m to 3950m, Distance: 12 km, Time: 6-7 hours, Habitat: Semi-desert:
Our route continues on a rocky and rugged eastward path as we ascend to the base of the Lava Tower at 4600m for lunch and acclimatization. This will be our toughest day so far and you may, for the first time, feels the altitude. After lunch, we will descend again by almost 650m to the Barranco camp. The higher altitude of 4600m at Lava Tower and then descending to sleep will aid acclimatization. Our descent to Barranco camp takes about 2 hours and offers great opportunities to take some beautiful photographs of the Western Breach and Breach Wall. The camp is situated in a valley below the Breach and Great Barranco Wall, which should provide you with a memorable sunset while you wait for your dinner.
DAY 6: BARRANCO CAMP TO KARANGA CAMP.
Elevation (m): 3950m to 3930m, Distance: 7 km, Hiking Time: 4 hours, Habitat: Alpine Desert. Today starts with a short, but fun, scramble, to the top of the Great Barranco Wall. We then traverse over scree to the Karanga Valley (3930m) beneath the icefalls of the Heim, Kersten and Decken Glaciers. We will stay overnight at Karanga campsite.
DAY 7: KARANGA CAMP TO BARAFU CAMP.
Elevation (m): 3930m to 4600m, Distance: 6kms, Hiking Time: 3 hours, Habitat: Alpine Desert. We leave the Karanga campsite behind to meet the junction connecting with the Mweka descent Trail. From here we continue up to the Barafu Hut. You have now completed the Southern Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. At camp, we can rest, enjoy dinner, and prepare for the summit day. The two peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo are to be clearly seen from this position.
DAY 8: BARAFU CAMP TO SUMMIT TO CRATER CAMP.
Elevation (m): 4600m to 5895m (and down to 5790m), Distance: 8kms, Time: 7-8 hours, Habitat: Stone scree and ice-capped summit.
You will be woken at 07:00 and we will eat a hearty breakfast before starting our summit ascent between the Rebman and Ratzel glaciers. We will head in a northwesterly direction and ascend through heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim. This is the most mentally and physically challenging part of the trek. At Stella Point (5732m), we will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent views (weather permitting). At Uhuru Peak (5895m), we will have reached the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa. After celebrating with a few summit photos we begin our descent into the Kibo Crater to camp for the night. The scenery is breathtakingly unbelievable and depending on the time of year you will see the fast receding glaciers set amidst either sandy, dessert or snowy conditions.
DAY 9: KIBO CRATER TO MWEKA CAMP.
Elevation (m): 5790m to 3100m, Distance: 12 km, Time: 6-8 hours, Habitat: Stone scree and moorland.
From the summit, we descend down to the Mweka Hut camp site, via Barafu for lunch. Trekking poles will be needed for the loose gravel going down to Mweka Camp (3100m). Later in the evening, we will enjoy our last dinner on the mountain and a well-earned sleep.
DAY 10: MWEKA CAMP TO MWEKA GATE.
Elevation (m): 3100m to 1800m, Distance: 10 km, Hiking Time: 3-4 hours, Habitat: Forest.
We depart after breakfast descending down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. Gaiters and trekking poles will help. Shorts and T-shirts will be suitable (keep rain gear and warmer clothing handy).
After receiving your summit certificates the car will be waiting for you at Mwekpick up to pick up you to your lodge in Arusha.
Dinner and overnight at Arusha Safari Lodge: Bed, dinner, and breakfast included.
DAY 11: DEPARTING DAY.
After saying bye to our team guides, then you need a private departure transfer, which is included from Arusha to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight unless you have an option to have a short safari or any other option we will discuss.
MOUNT KILIMANJARO-CRATER CAMP 9 DAYS TREKKING INCLUDES.
• Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha and Arusha to Kilimanjaro airport
• Hotel Lodging the night before and the night after the climb, with dinner and breakfast included (double occupancy)
• With bed dinner and breakfast
• Transfer from your hotel to starting point for your climb and return to your hotel after your climb
• Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
• All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees, and climbing permits.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Rescue Team)
• Emergency Oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook
• Salaries for the mountain crew as per guidelines set by the Kilimanjaro National Park
• Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs) from one camp to the next camp.
• Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
• A comprehensive Climbing Kilimanjaro travel info pack
• Flying Doctor Service
MOUNT KILIMANJARO-CRATER CAMP 9 DAYS TREKKING EXCLUDES.
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US $ 230 to US $ 300 per hiker – depending on the number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
• South African passport holders do NOT require a visa for Tanzania, however, most other nationalities require a visa for Tanzania
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if travelling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Optional, but highly recommended Portable toilet
• Snacks, personal medicine, and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks.
ITINERARY TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
A non-refundable 25% deposit is required to secure the tour and begin the necessary booking processes and ground preparations. An invoice will be sent to the client together with the payment instructions.
The final balance payment of the tour booked is required to be paid not later than 20 days before the tour starts. Bookings made within 20 days prior to the arrival date should be paid in full.
Cancellation received 30 days or more before the tour starts: No Cancellation Fees will be charged.
Cancellation received 20 days before the tour starts: 25% Cancellation Fee will be charged.
Cancellation received 10 days before the tour starts: 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
Cancellation received within 48hrs before the tour starts: 100% Cancellation Fee will be charged.